Hear how a lot cash it can save you by putting in luxurious vinyl tile your self, what to do about thermal growth gaps in crown molding and extra.
Save Large by Putting in LVT Your self
Luxurious vinyl tile is a good choice for owners on the lookout for a sturdy, waterproof, and easy-to-clean flooring choice.
Additionally, it’s some of the inexpensive flooring choices, making it an awesome alternative for budget-conscious owners. Joe researched the prices and right here’s what he discovered:
Most individuals pay on common $1,400 to have 200 sq. toes of vinyl plank flooring put in. Nonetheless, you should buy luxurious vinyl for $2.50-$4 per sq. foot at The Dwelling Depot.
So, in the event you set up it your self, it may solely value you between $500-800. That’s a saving, on common, of $600-900 over a professionally put in job!
You don’t want any particular instruments to put in luxurious vinyl tile. A field cutter is all it takes to chop the tiles.
The primary mistake individuals make when putting in is chopping it tight in opposition to a wall. All floating flooring require an growth area — you’ll want wherever from 1 / 4 inch to half an inch.
Run the luxurious vinyl tile as much as the baseboard and canopy the hole with shoe molding. Simply you’ll want to safe the shoe molding to the baseboard.
Observe the instructions precisely concerning any underlayment. Relying on the sort you purchase, the underlayment may already be connected.
Watch: Simply Set up Luxurious Vinyl Tile
What to Do About Gaps in Crown Molding
That is the primary winter that Chris in Alabama has spent in his new residence, and he’s seeing the results of thermal growth. Over the previous months, he says vital gaps have proven up within the crown molding all through the home.
“Ought to I ask my builder to right the difficulty? If the gaps are stuffed will it trigger the molding to buckle when it will get hotter?” he asks.
It’s wonderful how a lot supplies in a house broaden and contract, and doubtless nowhere is it extra evident than if you’re crown molding.
These gaps will normally shut on their very own as soon as hotter climate comes again round. When you have some gaps which are very pronounced, right here’s what you are able to do:
- Nail it in place: Use a nail gun to safe the crown molding to the wall.
- Fill it with caulk: As a substitute of utilizing conventional caulk, fastidiously apply an acrylic latex caulk. The trick is to barely feed it into the cracked space, in order that when it does shut again, it stays versatile. The hole will nonetheless seem nevertheless it received’t be as deep or as noticeable.
Hearken to be taught the simple technique to take away acorns out of your yard, why a glass cooktop can shatter, what it’s essential to do to cowl terracotta tile and extra.
Eliminating an Acorn Overload
That is nuts! A house owner says he has greater than 250,000 acorns in his entrance yard.
“Apart from raking, which I hate, how can I decide up the acorns? My self-propelled lawnmower doesn’t have the ability to choose them up. Is there a chunk of kit appropriate for the job?” he asks.
Right here’s what you should utilize to take away from a yard:
- Leaf blower: A leaf blower can blow the acorns right into a pile, making them simpler to gather. Bonus tip: Use a tarp to comprise the acorns whereas blowing them, making cleanup even simpler!
- Garden vacuum: A garden vacuum can suck up acorns and take away them from the yard. These will be expensive, so see in the event you can lease one, or rent a landscaper who owns one to make use of in your yard.
To remove this downside sooner or later, stop the acorns from falling within the first place. If potential, take away the tree or prune it in order that it doesn’t produce as many acorns.
Some chemical remedies can stop acorn manufacturing, however solely knowledgeable arborist ought to apply them.
Remember — eradicating acorns will be time-consuming and also you would possibly have to repeat it as new acorns fall. All the time put on security gear to guard your self from falling acorns and pay attention to bugs or critters within the acorns or hiding within the tree.
‘Why Did My Glass Cooktop Shatter?’
A house owner says the tempered glass on his fuel cooktop all of the sudden shattered the opposite day, regardless that it wasn’t on and he didn’t drop something onto it.
“What would trigger that to occur?” he asks.
Tempered glass is designed to be sturdy and sturdy, however it will probably shatter unexpectedly for a number of causes. A number of the commonest causes of tempered glass shattering embrace:
- Improper set up: If the cooktop isn’t put in appropriately, it will probably put stress on the glass and trigger it to shatter. As an illustration, if the countertop is overlapping the cooktop, it may put some stress on the highest, finally inflicting it to shatter.
- Thermal stress: If the cooktop or the glass is uncovered to speedy modifications in temperature, reminiscent of from a scorching pot being positioned on a chilly cooktop or vice versa, it will probably trigger thermal stress and trigger the glass to shatter.
- Manufacturing defects: Generally, tempered glass can have manufacturing defects that make it extra liable to shattering. If that is so, report it to the producer.
You may name knowledgeable to exchange the glass cooktop, nevertheless it could be costly. Contemplate changing it with a range that doesn’t have a glass cooktop.
To forestall a glass cooktop from shattering, observe the following pointers:
- Don’t place a scorching pot on a chilly cooktop or flip the cooktop on excessive and instantly place a chilly pot on it. This may trigger thermal stress and might trigger the glass to shatter.
- Use cookware with flat bottoms to distribute warmth evenly and stop warping or bending.
- Don’t slide cookware throughout the cooktop, as it will probably scratch or chip the glass.
- Do =n’t place heavy objects, reminiscent of forged iron pans or stress cookers, on the cooktop as they will trigger affect harm.
- Clear the cooktop commonly with a gentle detergent and a non-abrasive sponge or fabric to take away any grime, grime or stains.
- Use a stovetop cowl to guard the cooktop from scratches or stains when not in use.
- Don’t overheat the cooktop, as it will probably trigger the glass to overheat and shatter.
- All the time observe the producer’s directions for the care and use of your cooktop.
Overlaying Terracotta Tile
A house owner has terracotta tiles all through her second-floor California condominium.
“The floor is just too exhausting, very uncomfortable!” she says. “Can we’ve got extra comfy flooring put in on high? It looks as if elimination can be very costly, disruptive and noisy.”
As a result of conventional terracotta flooring has such an irregular floor, you’ll wish to apply a self-leveling underlayment to create a easy, even floor for putting in one other kind of flooring over it.
You would possibly run into the issue of elevating the ground peak an excessive amount of to the place it will probably block home equipment from opening or make them not degree along with your cupboards and counters. Verify the peak of the brand new flooring to ensure this received’t occur after you’ve put in it.
There are a number of choices for masking terracotta tiles, together with:
- Vinyl flooring: Vinyl flooring will be put in over the prevailing tiles and is sturdy and simple to scrub.
- Engineered hardwood flooring: Engineered hardwood flooring will be put in over the prevailing tiles and supply a heat and pure look.
- Laminate flooring: Laminate flooring may also be put in over the prevailing tiles and is obtainable in lots of types and colours.
- Floating flooring: A floating flooring is a kind of flooring that isn’t connected to the subfloor, this kind of flooring will be put in over the terracotta tiles and will be made of various supplies like laminate, engineered hardwood, or cork.
Seek the advice of with knowledgeable flooring specialist to find out the best choice in your particular scenario.
Finest New Merchandise
|Milwaukee’s new battery pack retains instruments powered for longer, so there’s much less downtime throughout your initiatives. Be taught extra >>|
Pool-Toy Plumbing Instrument — Earlier than repairing most plumbing clogs, you will need to first take away any standing water. Now, you would use a sponge or moist/dry vac, however right here’s another choice: take a child’s water-squirting toy, generally referred to as a water blaster, and use it like a siphon pump. Merely place the nozzle of the toy into the water and draw again on the deal with to suck up the water. Then you’ll be able to squirt it right into a bucket, bathroom or tub. That is nice for sink clogs, bathroom clogs, or when you’ve got a malfunctioning washer that has water standing within the tub.
Watch: Take away Standing Water From a Clogged Sink
Paint Display screen Saver — When utilizing paint from a beforehand opened can, it’s finest to cross the paint by means of a filter to display out dried paint chips and different small bits of particles. You should buy disposable paint filters, however they’re flimsy, not reusable and the paint flows by means of a lot too slowly. As a substitute, use a chunk of vinyl insect screening. Minimize the display about 12 or 14in. sq., safe it to a brand new, clear paint can with three small spring clamps, after which pour the outdated paint by means of the display. When completed, rinse out the display with a backyard hose and reserve it for the following paint job.
Watch: Filter Paint Utilizing a Window Display screen
Radio Present & Podcast: Ship us your query!
When you have a remark, normal query about residence enchancment, or one thing we have featured on Immediately’s Home-owner, please fill on this type: